Sunday, June 28, 2009

Great news & Great progress




I've got a lot to post about and not a lot of time. It's almost past my bedtime. I'll start with the stuff that might not make sense to the untrained eye. Will did not have to be reminded to call his home teaching family this month. Routine he remembers, things he would write down he would sometimes remember, but the things I didn't mention would generally be forgotten. Well gone are the days of forgetting. He remembers non-routine task and preforms them without my bidding. For you readers this may seem insignificant. To me I want to do cart wheels and sing every time he surprises me with a new "on his own task." Ok I'll give you one more cool thing to me but again insignificant detail to the untrained eye. I was talking about someone in the news and Will turned to me and said "oh that Paul Cardall" guy? -- I almost fell over in my chair but decided not to because I was driving. Not only could Will remember a name he only read once, but it meant he had read or listened to the news that day. He is coming back to the real world. I have to admit I like the world of -just Will and I and family but I'm thinking those days are less and less. Will is studying more and interacting more than he ever has! (I'm sure we'll always be #1 in his life but the difference will be we won't be the only ones in his life in the future;)

OK now for the good news. A cardiologist, Dr. Burlew, at the University of Utah took Will on this last week. Will is "job shadowing" but more than that he is engaging in more resident like activities. Interacting with the patients and dialoguing with Dr. Burlew about them. This is exciting because Will has been considering specializing in cardiology once his internal medicine residency is done. This will be great experience to that end.

Last but not least. Life is good. Will and I spent Friday night camping in the rain with his little brother (who needed some merit badge points for his eagle scout). Will surprised me with the new iPhone for my birthday this past week. I have been walking around with a perma grin all week. Now I'm like all the other account managers at the advertising agency I work at. We have a few leads on jobs and are looking to engage with more doctors in job shadowing. Will continues to volunteer at globus relief and the Temple. He took the first of a two part occupational test-- which I'm sure he passed with flying colors because it was the physical functionality test. Next is the "stay up for 30 hours test" -- I know crazy. I'm sure he'll be fine though. He is pretty alert when he is awake. I don't see him doze off like the old days. OK this post is long enough. Enjoy the pictures above of Will and Nate setting up a shelter from the rain on our camping trip and of course the shelves Will built with very little instruction. I was at work and came home to new organization for our storage!!! Take care I'll blog again soon.

Summer

3 comments:

Abby said...

It's true, you guys are lucky to have each other.

Boni said...

Looks like things are coming along just great!

cristie said...

i love to end my day with this wonderful news! xox