Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The Return to Ohio



After Will's stroke, he came back to Utah very lost. On top of the deficits caused by the stroke, Will never quite understood what he was lacking "abilities wise." Only a month after Will came back after his stroke Will's dad asked him "If you could do anything right now what would it be" Will said "I'd get in my car and drive back to Ohio." As far as Will could understand one day he woke up and "Ohio" was gone. His life's work, his studies, his friends and medical associates. So with this in mind his desire to come back to Ohio and begin again a "normal life" has always been strong.

Now that we are here, two worlds have finally come together for Will. The world in Utah where we met and married, and now Will's profession, also a great love of his. Will's spirits are high, and what I can tell, he has been well received among work associates and friends. I have only had the opportunity to witness a few of these reunions-- mostly at church. Will saw a friend Sunday, Chad who is a practicing neurologist, who had no idea Will was back in town. When Chad saw him at church he just stood and stared. It took him a minute to resolve in his mind how far Will had come since the stroke. He couldn't believe the progress. Once he caught his breath he bombarded Will with questions about the stroke and Will answered clearly and confidently. He then said "you're the old Will alright." I imagine there have been similar reunions at his former "residency hospital," Riverside Methodist Hospital, where Will has been doing an "Observer ship" for the past three days. Everyday he comes home with a smile on his face. The 10 hour days do not tire him nor do they yet require him to "do more than he can do." My guess is that this experience will challenge him but that he will rise to the challenge. I have spent the last year and a half watching Will take on each new challenge and surprise all around him with abilities we worried he would not have. I remember a month and a half after he came home we went swimming together-- I was worried the moment we jumped into the deep side of the pool that he would sink-- that he'd forget how to breath or preform the strokes necessary-- My fears were put to rest when he beat me to the other side of the pool.

We are very grateful for this invaluable experience in Ohio. We don't know for how long we will be here, or if we'll get to return here in July for Will's residency (although this is Will's greatest hope), however this experience will be the "proof" we need to give Will his life back. I'd be smiling everyday too if I were him. Indeed he is very glad to be back.

ps above I've posted two pictures one of Will on his favorite bike riding trail in Ohio along the Olentangy River, and then of us conversing with my brothers and sisters in different states over the internet.

1 comment:

Elissa said...

What an amazing recovery! I hope he continues to be able to accomplish everything he wants to!