Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Like before

I was talking to my husband the other day, and I don't think he knew, but we practically repeated a conversation we had from before he had a stroke. This may not be a big deal to many reading, but to me it was a big deal. There were times when I never thought a "pre-stroke" Will would be possible. Our articulate conversations is particularly what I am referring to. Analyzing, detailing, problem solving-- these things were a little hazy in the days following his stroke-- actually they were really hazy for the first two years following the stroke.  After our first year of marriage I began to feel the pressure of making decisions and solving "our problems" and etc… melt away. Little by little our roles have become more equal.  Will can identify issues and can create solutions much like he did before the stroke. He is on his way. Currently, on his journey towards taking the boards, Will's practice test scores are improving all the time.  And while I don't know if he'll make the impossible possible (passing a test only first year residents are required to take and pass, after much in clinic experience) if anyone can do it he can. Will studies 8-10 hours a day and it's amazing. In the meantime, anyone reading this blog can know it's been tried, tested and proven -- persistence and belief in a better day will lead to extraordinary results.

3 comments:

Linda said...

Oh Summer, I am so happy for you that you are getting the "old Will" back. I know my husband is my best friend and things are getting much closer to normal in the past few months. It feels great! I must say.. such great pictures. Little guy is so adorable all dressed up!

Linda said...

I can't find another way to send you a message than posting her. I was listening to CBC radio (Canadian National Radio Station) this morning and there was a story was about a surgeon, Sarah Jones, who had a horrible injury. I think you might identify with this inspiring story. This documentary is called the Hand of Fate.

http://www.cbc.ca/thecurrent/gamechanger/2012/02/29/the-hand-of-fate-dr-sarah-jones/

Summer Blackhurst said...

Thanks Linda! It's always good hearing from you! Keep at it!!! I know you're going to get far with your positive attitude!