Monday, January 18, 2010

Back to the News





So I think we've deviated from the blog subject a little the last few post. The subject being my hubby and his recovery. I assure you the deviation was not intended. My man is making amazing steps in recovery. For anyone out there who has dealt with a "long-term disability" I imagine your smile grows deeper at every little change and improvement. So right now, I have lots of reason to smile. Will's ability to retrieve large amounts of knowledge at the blink of an eye is returning. I am not longer the smarty pants out of the two of us. He can retrieve information from the precincts of his mind that I couldn't retrieve even if I learned it 100 times!

I have been so focused on other things returning I forgot that the memory piece needs to be just as pristine as the rest of his abilities-- watch out Ken Jennings ;) (ps why is it that all the smart people come from Utah.... just kidding out of state folks :).

So Will has blogged briefly about things that should be shouted on the roof tops. His volunteer work at a free clinic, his joining a toastmaster's club, his church talk, the lesson he gave in a sunday school class, his attendance at two to three morning reports a week, his new goal to take step 3 in a number of months and his chart to study a 100 hours so we can reward ourselves with a trip or something neat like that. The list goes on (actually I am keeping one cat in the bag because we don't know how it will turn out-- so keep your eye out for more developments-- i hope i hope).

I will add a couple of details to the afore mentioned activities. The clinic: many volunteers are behind the desks and counters organizing and doing paper work...my husband does that but he also gets pulled from that position several times throughout the day to translate for the doctors-- better than shadowing participating.... so cool! Will's sunday school lesson: teaching is much different than presenting. He prepared his lesson and discussion points and was able to lead the class in a discussion about the topic. I hear he did great (I couldn't go cause it was Elders Quorum-- the third of three meetings in our church -- the last meeting is the one where the guys separate from the girls). His talk: Well I have to say I was the first to talk and he was the second. I stuttered through my discourse and forgot to end with the answer to the question I presented at the first. My hubby and I then performed a musical number (him on the piano me on the violin) then he got up and took no time at all to let the congregation know my little missed detail (the entire conclusion to my talk ;). He often catches me when I fall and I am soo grateful for that. His 100 hour chart: Ok I admit it was my idea. But heck any reason to go on a vacation is a great reason for me ;)

To end I tell you Will is getting there. He isn't all the way back but he is still recovering. He is still going. And in the meantime we are having the time of our lives

Keep watching and praying,

Summer

ps The above photos are my little niece playing in our apartment-- we have a toy box and treats to persuade our nieces and nephews to come down whenever they visit the parents. The other pictures are of Will Skiing and me snowboarding. On this particular ski day we taught two nieces and my sister(for her birthday) to ski. My two brother-in-laws also came--It was a great!

pps Below is more of Will's photography genius-- two of our cute nieces and my sister and her husband.





3 comments:

Amberlynn said...

that's awesome! i'm glad your hubby is getting better and better. looks like you two are enjoying yourselves; love the ski pics! i stopped by to say hi on our way out of the neighborhood sat. but no one was home. maybe i'll catch you another time. luv ya!

Elissa said...

Good news!

becca said...

Those pictures of the nieces are so cute!! I'm glad to hear that everything is going so well!