Friday, July 16, 2010

Testing & Trials

I am going to open the door "just a little" into our lives for a minute, as I might with a close friend. I hope by doing this it might let you know our gratitude for your support. Will received his third installment of nueropsych results. We have tested him every year about this time. The test outlines different cognitive abilities and deficits. Specifically dealing with memory, appearance, processing speed and so on. Because Will has moved past so many deficits, the test was only a couple hours. (Last year it was a day and the year before it was two days). It is critical, however, for us to be able to "erase" all the deficits, to be able to move on to be a doctor-- for in this career field it is life or death, no room for error. Because we are admits the making of many decisions and have many decision makers making decisions I have to keep our cards close.  But generally speaking, you can already guess from the title of this blog that recovery is still happening, so all is not erased.

Will is coping with the reality that after two and a half years he has yet to regain his dream of becoming a doctor (and still having to deal with the medical school debt as if he were a doctor). When Will and I first decided to marry, that decision came under intense scrutiny-- whether my intentions were real, or Will's stroke was too great a burden to share, or whether he understood the marriage commitment at that point in his recovery… whatever it was - we were under fire. During that time of trial, the year following his stroke, things changed.  We had dated on and off for years, but it was when I saw him face this Goliath, of losing so much and still turning to the Lord - I knew I could trust this guy with my life. I share this experience with you to let you know, my love for Will has grown this week. He is facing this time, like a true champion. He has continued to turn to the Lord and make right decisions.  What more could I ask for in a husband. I am so grateful for him.

Meanwhile, we are both learning more than I thought physically/spiritually possible. Lessons like, what really matters in this life, why is there so much suffering, how long are we called to bear great burdens, and so on. Not that we know the answers to these questions, rather we know that there are answers and the answer has everything to do with our Lord's great love for his children. Somehow the Lord's power and love can find a home into the hearts of those who mourn, and those who suffer. That love is what matters in this life, if everything were taken away from us- and that love was all that remained, than that would be enough. Luckily, however, we have been given so much more...

Below is a picture of one of my best friends and I. I am due at the end of September, Boni is due at the end of October. This is a fun pic because for Boni, after five years of trying to have children doctors told her she would never have children of her own-- well one adoption and two pregnancies later-- she is one happy mother.  Meanwhile, I was single and wanted a family too. We both got our greatest desires.

This is a pic of Will celebrating the 4th of July with my nephews by sitting in a helicopter.

Will preforming the Hungarian Dance by Brahms at my 93-year-old grandpa's Fathers Day celebration.


This is our crib we've set up two and a half months early.  We are soooo excited to be parents!  I have to keep telling Will it's too early to put the car seat in ;)

And of course a picture of Will and I on one of our many adventures.

2 comments:

Elissa said...

you are one cute preggo lady! Love the crib (I had mine up early too and then was glad I did). The one thing I wish I had in early was the car seat, so there you go.

I hope this doesn't sound too cheesy, but I am reminded often of the eternal nature of our relationships, of families, and of the lessons learned during our trials. I know God is aware of each of us and he sees "the way out" that we can usually only see in hindsight. It sounds like Will is making lots of progress. I really admire you guys for your tenacity and your faith. However it turns out, you will get through it and things will be okay. Take care :)

Boni said...

I love this post (and not just because I'm in it:)) You are doing awesome and you two will make it through whatever gets thrown at you! Love you!!!