Wednesday, April 23, 2008

A Post-stroke Return

Wednesday afternoon Will’s speech therapist, Lisa, came with a wonderful article about Tedy Bruschi, a football player for the New England Patriots who had suffered a stroke and gone through extensive rehabilitation, mostly with physical therapy. The article really hit home. Bruschi is the first foot-ball player ever to return to the pros following a stroke. His success was attributed mainly to hard work and a good medical team working in his behalf. The therapists didn’t cut him any slack, but put him through exercises capable of restoring muscles to peak condition. The doctors closed up the PFO in his heart the same way they did Will’s and monitored his progress very carefully to determine the advisability of his resuming his career. After all was said and done the neurologists could find no reason why Bruschi shouldn’t be able to do anything he wanted to do. He and his wife decided he should continue to fulfill his life’s dream.
It was a very encouraging article, for while the part of the body that was affected by the stroke in Bruschi, was very different from Will’s, the age and general well being of both stoke victims was very comparable. Will’s bi-lateral stroke will likely require more time for healing, but his alertness and stamina continue to increase. His memory and speaking skills also show marked improvement. At times he sounds like his old self. He is currently taking cooking and institute classes, has become a very avid reader, and is participating in companionship study of the gospel with his returned missionary little sister. They currently have an investigator they are very eager to see enter the waters of baptism. Things are looking up!

2 comments:

cristie said...

this is such a positive update. the love and support of your family is wonderful to hear about. xox

Anonymous said...

To Will's family;
I just wanted to pass along my well wishes and support for Will and his family. I arrived at Will's Recovery Blog recently mostly by accident (Google update for stroke/PFO postings). Perhaps however, it was not a complete accident because exactly one year ago today, I had my PFO closed. I had a stroke at 39 and I would not be here today without the help of the stroke heroes in my family. You mentioned in this post, Tedy Bruschi. In his book Never Give Up - Tedy describes there are two faces of stroke, young and old. I think there is also a third face and it is the face of the real stroke heroes, the person(s) you lean on for support when you are going through this process-the caregivers and love ones who step up and keep you strong. I mention this on my stroke awareness blog but it is so fitting to repeat to your supportive family after reading your story.

I hope that Will does not mind that I pass along his Recovery Blog through a link on my site. My blog is dedicated particularly to helping the young face of stroke, by raising awareness about all stroke risk factors, especially the connection between the heart and brain where much more research and education is necessary. I encourage you to continue to share your story. I will wait for your reply to see if it is OK with Will.

http://knowstroke.wordpress.com

Keep the Faith and best wishes for a full recovery-

David
Stroke Survivor