Saturday, May 31, 2008

Will's Goals

When Will came home from Ohio, his speech therapist asked him to identify some goals. He said he had four: 1-be normal 2- get a job 3- get married and 4- get his driver's license back, not necessarily in that order. As his mom, I feel like it's my job to help him achieve those goals.
I spent Thursday on the phone lining up therapy sessions for Will with Dr. Mayer the neuro-psychologist who will be administering the neuro-psyche exam which will determine how close to normal he is. I was also badgering the vocational rehab people to come up with an employment opportunity and trying to find a volunteer position on my own for him. I was interested in getting him linked with one of the local hospitals; however, all they were offering were one hour a week jobs at the information desk or the gift shop. That was not what I had in mind. I was thinking of a 5-9 job with some supervision and responsible work.
Rocky Mt. Hospice said they would try to find a patient who could use a "friendly visitor." I set up an appointment for him to go in and be trained, but the idea of him sitting by some dying or chronically ill person day after day, when he’s already depressed, did not sit well. I worried that they might yell at him if he didn’t talk loud enough, or be fed up with him if he couldn’t think of something to say.
After putting it on the back burner for the evening, and getting good night’s sleep, I got up to do my exercises and was in the midst of some heavy-duty leg-lifts, when then a flash of inspiration hit. Will could work in the temple! It was the perfect job! He could go there from 9-5, do different things, so he wouldn’t be bored and be paid in blessings! What a concept! Why hadn’t I thought of it before? I was so excited, I could hardly wait to wake him up and tell him the good news. Even though I woke him out of a deep sleep, he understood what I was saying and received it well.
I dropped him off at the temple about 10:30 Friday morning with a prayer in my heart that he would find the blessings he so desperately needs. He came home about 4:30 in the afternoon having done two endowment sessions. A light had been turned on. He looked more animated and confident than he has in a long time. I am hoping he will be able to be called to be a temple worker. He was doing initiatory when he was working in the Ohio temple and it seems like that would be a perfect place for him to work on his memory and speaking skills.

1 comment:

cristie said...

i love how inspiration hits at any given moment. you are such a good mama and i know that Will will reach all of his goals. xox